Friday 29 June 2018

Taproom Scoring System

I feel like I need to somehow measure and quantify taprooms as I visit them. However, a lot of the attraction of taprooms are the quirky details and intangible qualities, which are really difficult to pin down.

I have therefore come up with the following scoring system, which is an inexact science in the extreme.

All data points are scored out of five, with quarter-point increments, in tribute to Untappd, which is, of course, the greatest mobile app in the history of computing!





Location
How cool, picturesque, steam-punk industrial, or otherwise interesting is the location?
Accessibility
How easy it the taproom to get to on public transport, or at least, is there a reasonably-priced hotel option near-by?
Ambience
Is the taproom a nice place to be? This doesn't have to be luxurious, but is it a comfortable, welcoming place to spend a few hours?
Beer Selection
This is partly about number of taps, partly about a range of styles, but mostly about the beer styles that I love (Pale, IPA, NEIPA, DIPA, Stout and Porter)
Staff
Are there enough of them, is the service great, are they welcoming, enthusiastic, and happy to talk about the beer (if they have time)?
Value for money
Some taprooms (mainly in the USA) are absolutely insane value for money, some are downright expensive.
Emotional quotient
Some taprooms are so amazing (some mysterious combination of the above metrics) that they bring me over quite emotional!

The above scores are then added together, to give a total out of a possible 35 points. 

I know that this is subjective, non-scientific, and perhaps downright ridiculous, but it is my blog, and the scoring system pleases me, so this is how it will be!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea, can’t imagine why you scored 5 for staff at Standing Bar - I suspect a certain waitress raised your EQ! Look forward to adopting this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that the owner and the wait-staff were all great! ;-)

    ReplyDelete