Friday 22 June 2018

Genesis - The Taphouse, Copenhagen

About four years ago, I had arranged to meet a business colleague in Central Copenhagen. When I arrived at his hotel, he offered his apologies, but advised that he had to join a conference call for maybe 45 minutes, before he could join me for drinks and dinner.

It was a hot afternoon, and I had had a busy day, so I was reluctant to wait that long for a beer! So I wandered out of the Hotel and randomly turned left into a narrow sidestreet, and stumbled upon The Taphouse, which was my first experience of a modern craft beer taproom. I was immediately smitten...!
   
At that time, The Taphouse had only been open for a few weeks, but already boasted the same 61 taps that it has today, organised roughly by beer style. Taps 10 through 18 typically serve a variety of Pales and IPAs from an interesting mix of Danish and International Breweries, and that was where my attention was focused. (These days, I suspect that my interest would be drawn by a broader range of their taps...)

Over the next three years, I spent countless hours in the Taphouse, in the day-time and in the evening, with customers, with colleagues, and alone. Due to it's solid free WiFi, it also became euphemistically know as "The Copenhagen Office" amongst our Team!

Between that first experience and today, I have been to dozens of other taprooms, in Europe, Asia and the USA. I have been to larger taprooms, more atmospheric taprooms, even taprooms with a more interesting beer selections, but no other taproom has a dearer place in my heart than The Taphouse!



1 comment:

  1. Good start Rob.... That ones going to have to go on my bucket list as well !

    ReplyDelete